[PD] spatial audio stuff for linux and games

Dan Neveu neveu at buffalo.edu
Fri Feb 20 21:32:37 CET 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Jeffrey Hildebrand wrote:

> one more thing, i believe i'll be doing the audio for a video game my
> friends are making and i'll be converting the spatial audio code over to a
> more standard API so that it would be easier to implement into the game.
> does anybody know about what might be a good choice along the lines of game
> audio engines?

I'm planning to toy around with either/both OpenAL ( http://openal.org )
or fmod ( http://fmod.org ). Both are cross-platform, though fmod seems to
have the edge with additional PDA, Xbox, PS2, etc support. I haven't looked
at the api's enough to tell to what extent you can override their
spatialization implementations with your own. Let me know what you find.

-dan