[PD] pd+makeup

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 21 06:36:50 CET 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Windows and XFree use different default dpi. So many of the patches
> created on Windows use a 12 font, while many Linux users prefer font
> size 10. 10 looks tiny on Windows, whereas 12 looks rather large on
> Linux. The problem is, that tighly spaced objects will overlap on
> Linux, but might look nice on Windows. Actually your changes probably
> won't collide with this particular problem.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind...

> Did you do some performance tests?

No, haven't yet, and prolly will try that only much later, inserting a
piece of code in both versions of Pd (i mean devel_0_37 and mine) and
measuring things like number of dropouts and client-server bandwidth and
such. I am confident that my version will eventually become faster than
devel_0_37, at least when configured with the classic Pd layout. I am
rewriting a bunch of code in Tcl/Tk, which may seem slower, except that
the way I do it it reduces the client-server bandwidth being used, which
is good, especially wrt dropouts.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I'd prefer it the other way around and strongly would vote for manual
> segmenting instead of automatic. No algorithm would be able to tell,
> which patch cords *I* would like to be segmented,

I very well understand that, and my segmentation algorithms prolly will be
crappy at first, so a manual mode is a must =)

> and which ones I would like straight. Also I wonder: How would an
> algorithm look like that deals with ambiguities created by segmenting?
> Would it just not allow cords to run on top of each other? Running on
> top could be cleaner in some cases, but it also would be hazardous for
> reading a patch in a lot of other cases.

It would use a particle system such that the nodes of the cords repulse
each other into nonambiguous positions. (Just kidding.)

Seriously, if anyone wants to try writing that algorithm, it would be
nice... =)