[PD] Red Hat 9 and PD - RH9 is rubbish

Ed Kelly loneshark at btopenworld.com
Wed Feb 25 14:29:37 CET 2004

Can anyone recommend a good, current Linux distribution for running PD? I've
had it with Red Hat!

By the way, your comments have all been very helpful, thanks :) Here's what
I had to do - although I won't be recommending RH9 to anyone!
After re-installing Red Hat 9 with text-based login, I found that the
/etc/sysconfig/desktop file is where the default wm is set. After installing
WindoMaker (it doesn't come with Red Hat 9!) I set it to:
DESKTOP="WINDOWMAKER"

WindowMaker then became my default wm, the alsa drivers compiled (1.0.2 libs
didn't compile, 1.0.1 libs did!) and after installing pd and making aliases
for libtk.so.0 and libtcl.so.0 in /usr/lib/ linked to their respective
libraries (and libstdc++.so.3 for xsample~ externals) I could launch PD.
BUT...

Forget using Red Hat 9!!!The cpu usage was at 45% before I'd even turned
audio on in my very-complex patch (compared to 1-3% on Red Hat 7.2) and
abstractions took 5 minutes to come up after clicking on them! Unfortunately
I don't have the disks for 7.2 any more, so I'm stuck with a 2.2 kernel
distribution (Mandrake 7).

Can anyone recommend a current linux distribution for running PD? I've had
enough of Red Hat!
Peace,
Ed

Lone Shark: Aviation.
Electronic music for your mind, body and soul! Released March/April 2004 on
Pyramid Transmissions.
http://www.pyramidtransmissions.com/