[PD] Red Hat 9 and PD - RH9 is rubbish

Padraig Kitterick padraigkitterick at oceanfree.net
Wed Feb 25 15:04:37 CET 2004

First off: what graphics & sound cards do you have? Just checking, cause
as gem relies on opengl if your card doesn't have good linux drivers
then a change in linux distro is not the main problem with pd+gem
performance. ATI and NVidia have drivers for XFree86 4.2 & 4.3 which
give you hardware acceleration under linux.

As for linux distros it depends on your level of linux experience. If
you want the most reliable, easy to install/update/use then the only
answer is Suse (not a flamebait, just my experience). Most other
'desktop' distros tend to be weak in the install/update bits and Suse
gets this just right. Its free to install over FTP.

If you want more optimisation then Gentoo is a good choice. You can
custom build the whole distro and set compiler optimisation flags to
your hearts content. The only problem is that when you update the
packages using their e-merge utility, you have to deal with the config
file changes yourself. Whereas with a distro like Suse its done
'automagically' for you.

Finally, if you are really comfortable with linux and have a good bit of
time to spare then Debian is great. Total control but sometimes a pain
to use...

Finally (really!) the speed increase from 2.4 to 2.6 kernels will be
nothing compared to getting your XFree86 drivers set up correctly using
the right config. I would make sure you can get your graphics card to
use hardware accel. under linux before worrying too much about the 2.6
kernel (plus its scheduling is not of real benefit to desktops. Ive
tried to test it and when the machine is under big loads it helps a lot,
but not much for normal use).

Hope this helps,

Padraig