[PD] sending midi to pure-data

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Feb 25 19:23:59 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Georgios Fourtounis wrote:
> hi pd-list!
>
> Playing around with pd and Jack enabled, i can't figure out how to send midi
> to PD.
> Audio is sent&received OK through Jack but Jack doesn't see any midi in/out ports
> from PD. How can it be done?
> "pd -jack -listdev" replies "device listing not implemented for jack yet"
>
> Latest version i tried was pd-0.37.0-3.cvs (from the ccrma archives) on a
> Fedora with
> ccrma kernel.

PD only supports raw midi devices yet. To make it routable you would have
to use the snd-virmidi drive like this:

1) modprobe snd-virmidi
2) ln -s /dev/snd/midiC1D0 /dev/midi4
3) pd -mididev 5

The pd output/input will show up in your alsa sequencer as port
"Virmidi 1"

(Short version of Franks PD ALSA MIDI document .. which I can't find at
the moment)

If you have more than one soundcard, you might have to adjust line 2)
(change midiC1D0 to midiC2D0)

Guenter