[PD] Red Hat 9 and PD - RH9 is rubbish-7.3 is not

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 25 20:20:54 CET 2004

Hallo both,
shreeswifty hat gesagt: // shreeswifty wrote:

> i agree
> chkconfig --list
> i think shows you whats up
>
> i turned off a ton of stuff after i got going and my Sony Vaio PCG
> GRX 560
>
> On Wed Feb 25 13:42:52 EST 2004, Matthew Allen <matthew at lith.com>
> wrote:
>
> >	Planet CCRMA's Fedora Core1 is working just fine here for me on
> >a bit of an older machine (Athlon 1Ghz, 384mbs of ram, Geforce 3,
> >midiman 4/10).
[...]
> > think the trick with any of the bigger
> >desktop targeted distros is to really turn off as many of the
> >startup deamons you can. Don't need to print? Turn it off. No need
> >NFS? Turn it off!

The problem is: Why install all these things in the first place, if
you never need it? Why is turning things off necessary?

Some distributions even make turnings things off unnecessarily hard -
I'm thinking of Suse here (and also MS-Windows, MS-Word,MS-IE,...,
kind of.)

That's why personally I prefer Debian. It only does what I tell it to.
This is not to say that other distributions are bad or anything (I'm
too old for this kind of discussion ;) but if you want a fully
pre-configured distribution with lots of desktop bells and whistles,
than use one. But if you want a highly customized one, than try Debian
or Gentoo or Slack.

ciao