[ot] Distros and linux newbies (was: [PD] Red Hat 9 and PD - RH9 is rubbish-7.3 is not)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 25 23:03:27 CET 2004

Hallo,

Matthew Allen hat gesagt: // Matthew Allen wrote:
> 	I am not going to turn this into a distro battle, I just want
> new users to have as much info as they need. Frank I very much respect
> all the stuff you have done (and the help I have personally received
> from you), but I worry about your advice for people who may just be
> starting out with linux.

In my mails I still am referring to Ed Kelly's disappointment with Red
Hat 9. As he wrote earlier, that he upgraded his old RH 7.2 to 9, I
draw the conclusion, that he's no newbie anymore. I do think, that
Debian is different enough from Redhat, that someone, who is fed up
with Redhat - his subject was "RH9 is rubbish", could give it a try -
as well as some of the other, more bare bones distributions like
Gentoo.

I didn't intend to give this as advice to a linux newbie. In my
earlier mail I wrote "you might want to go hardcore and install
Debian". (Although I do think, that Debian is a good choice for
newbies, as well, but that's a whole other story more appropriate for
linux-audio-user). If I sounded like dissing other distributions or
other opinions, I'd like to apologize. This never was my intention.

ciao