[PD] Red Hat 9 and PD

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Thu Feb 26 00:26:34 CET 2004

guenter geiger wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Josh Steiner wrote:
>

>>there are reports the the 2.6.x kernels are significantly (like 40%
>>sometimes) faster than the 2.4.x kernels.
>>

>I would really like to know when this "sometimes" happens :)

ok, here you go:

http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/article/04/01/30/05FElinux_1.html
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/31/1915227&mode=thread

>Surely you can not map the kernel performance to pd performance,
>if lets say pd spends 1% of its execution time in kernel, 40%
>improvement would not make pd noticeable faster.

of course not, but many *applications* are getting up to 47% speed
increases... i suspect it has to do with apps that do heavy io access
and have many threads/process... so it may not reflect that much on pd
(until pd is all threaded ;)

>I have heard that a 2.6 kernel has better realtime behaviour than
>an unpatched 2.4 kernel, which may help in some cases to lower
>latency.
>
>Guenter

yes... everything i ahve heard so far is that the whole system is just
much much more responsive.  wish i could switch to it (damn you m-audio)