[ot] Distros and linux newbies (was: [PD] Red Hat 9 and PD - RH9 is rubbish-7.3 is not)

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Thu Feb 26 01:09:57 CET 2004

I was recently searching for my dream distri because I felt Mandrake
which I run was to bloated. I tried the hardcore way with Gentoo but
gave up. I got a Kernel running and had to start over to build the
XServer, but I would like to have some concerts and exhibitions in THIS
year too.

The pure, 'woody' way of installing Debian failed on my little
barebonebox, to much drivers missing (nvidia stuff etc). BUT there is
some other, more recent ways to get a Debian running. The livesystem
Knoppix is often mentioned firstplace but it was not easy to install on
harddisk and it is a bit to mixed up for being a real Debian. But the
derieved Kanotix-distribution I can recommend, a livesystem which can
result in a running Debian on your harddisk.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

Elektronengehirn:
new piece on compilation Pero La Musica Continuara, available soon at
block4.com

Das Kombinat:
released the new musicvideo on art CDr magazine tinah #1
http://www.thisisnotahomepage.com