[PD] Compile errors for pd-0.37test6

John Lamb jwlamb at ncsu.edu
Sat Feb 28 01:25:32 CET 2004

thewade wrote:

>Hello dearist list,
>
>I have a problem. Ive installed fedora core 2 test 1 (and it makes me very happy) on my laptop. I have wierd alsa problems as alsa-driver is now part of the kernal, but I cannot even comile pd. Yes I know this is a test, which is why Im posting this to the list. Any fixes?
>
>Also, where is /etc/modules.conf (to configure the sound devices for alsa in 2.6)? /etc/modprobe.conf?
>
>Heres my compile error:
>
>make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wade/pd-0.37-1test6/extra/expr~\'
>cc -g -DPD -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -Wno-switch -I../../src -o vexp.pd_linux_o -c vexp.c
>vexp.c:81: warning: declaration of `exp\' shadows a global declaration
><built-in>:0: warning: shadowed declaration is here
>vexp.c:83: warning: declaration of `exp\' shadows a global declaration
><built-in>:0: warning: shadowed declaration is here
>vexp.c:85: warning: declaration of `exp\' shadows a global declaration
><built-in>:0: warning: shadowed declaration is here

---- etc.
This has been covered here before.  Either you can delete the statement
"-Werror" from the Makefile in extra/expr~ or you can edit vexp.c &
vexp_if.c and change every instance of "exp-" to "exp2-", "exp)" to
"exp2)" and "exp," to "exp2,".  The latter is what I do, because one day
you may need that -Werror flag.  ;)

Also you may find you need to change x_misc.c in src to have the line
"#include <unistd.h>" in order for the compile to work.

Also, I have discovered that running ./configure with the --enable-alsa
flag actually causes alsa to be DISabled; in order to make sure alsa
support is built, leave that flag off!  You may want to add the flag
"--enable-jack".

Hope this helps, someone fix this please; name conflicts in C are scary
and dangerous.

-- John Lamb aka PWizard on EFNet #pure-data