[PD] Is Pure Data right for my project

carmen ix at replic.net
Mon Mar 8 06:53:29 CET 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:27:02PM -0700, Paul Schrank wrote:
> thought I'd post a wish list and ask if PD can do the following:
>
> - Can PD read a folders contents into an array and display clips
> randomly from the array. I want to change out the clips over time so
> the array needs to be generated dynamically.

one way is to use tot , an external that gives you tcl access in your patch, for the usual file manipulation functions, search for "folderglider" for an example of this. if youre on os x, the shell external would proably work to, to just spawn an ls and grab the results. Zexy external would proably be helpful for dealing with the resulting lists/symbol strings...

> - is there a way to analyze beats per minute of an analog sound source
> (mp3 on the same computer or audio in the back of the computer) in
> order to change or loop clips to the tempo of the music

look at the bonk~ help file.. for finding the beats anywyas, perhaps setting a high threshold and trying to get one hit per measure (depends on how its mixed). perhaps finding 4 or 8 hits then dividing...of course this technique is a lot easier if its house music than jazz drumming/

> - Can PD/Gem play Flash (.fla) files as well

search for 'flashserver' . havent tried myself..

good luck~!
..c..