[PD] Re: PD-list digest, Vol 1 #1017 - 14 msgs [OT]

Trevor Agus pd at earcatching.com
Mon Mar 8 17:23:22 CET 2004

Yes, I've had problems with aliasing too, and would be grateful for any
ways to get around it.

Just to check my understanding of it: If I try to synthesize a 66150Hz
sine wave at 44100Hz sampling-rate (after doodline on a bit of paper)
the samples end up looking like a 22050Hz sine wave.

As Matt points out, the obvious way to get around this is not to try and
create such high frequencies.

But unfortunately, square-waves and saw-tooth waves (for example) have
ridiculously high harmonics, whether you want them or not. When you
represent them at a certain bit-rate, all the harmonics above half the
sampling rate gets aliased somewhere where you don't want them.

So how does this link up with Matt's suggestion that aliasing doesn't
happen in the purely digital domain? Well I guess in a sense the square
and saw-tooth waves in my head/formulae are analogue (i.e. infinite
bandwidth.) and realising them in the digital domain involves quantising
and sampling from that. So it is certainly aliasing.

The only way I can think to get around it is to build all complex tones
from sine-waves, which is a little calculation intensive, and doesn't
solve the quantisation problem.

Trevor

PS I tried to pose that as a question, but now suspect I've just joined
an argument... Rather than delete it, I've marked it 'off-topic' as an
acknowledgement of that. Please don't flame...

-----
Message: 5