[PD] Re: [PD-announce] William Fields - Live at Open Source - Philadelphia, PA

William Fields bill at teamtechno.com
Wed Mar 10 23:20:27 CET 2004

Thank you for your enthusiastic responses!  I'll try to go into a little
more detail...

Hmm... First of all, the system does not process audio at all.  I only
have a 750mhz P3, and I found that trying to do control & audio at the
same time was too much.  The timing was not stable enough, so I use a
separate program to handle the audio generation / FX, and the pd side
only generates MIDI / control data.  Audio is disabled in pd.

Basically, my system consists of a number of "generator" patches, all of
which use GOP.  There is one that plays MIDI files, there is one that
generates patterns of notes in a given scale (which is set globally),
there is one that generates chords, etc..  Each of these generators can
be turned on or off, routed to any midi channel, and have a number of
other parameters.

Under the hood, it is simply generating, processing, and routing around
<note,velocity,duration> vectors.

There are also a number of patches that spit out numbers: one that
approximates an LFO, one that puts out random values within a given
range at a given time interval, etc. etc.

There are a number of parameters that can be applied at the channel
level or the global level:
- density (what percentage of notes are actually played)
- pitch (using pitch bend)
- repeat (sort of like delay, but it actually retriggers the note n times)
- velocity
- randomness (remembers the last n notes it heard and spits them back
out randomly)
- duration (can modify the duration of all notes at once)
- etc, etc...

I have these different parameters assigned to knobs on my midi
controller.  I also assign some knobs to pass control data through to
the VST effects.

It uses a "pool" based preset switching system (thank you!), and I have
the buttons on my midi controller assigned to jump between the presets.

When performing I only have a minimal amount of stuff on the screen,
almost everything is hidden away because jumping between presets causes
timing glitches due to all of the GOPs.

I hope that gives you a general idea...

If you're interested in hearing more, here's another live performance in
which I used the pd system:

http://bill.teamtechno.com/music/william_fields_-_live_at_hologram_1-7-2004.mp3
(download, 83MB MP3)
http://bill.teamtechno.com/music/william_fields_-_live_at_hologram_1-7-2004.m3u