[PD] 0.37 ALSA [WAS: PD Knoppix]

august august at alien.mur.at
Thu Mar 11 15:43:29 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Hmm, I'm running alsa with no trouble here in RedHat land.  ./configure
> finds alsa automatically.  (If it doesn't, the media menu won't show it.)
> So perhaps this is some new way of configuring alsa that I don't know about?
>
> You aren't running a 2.6 kernel by any chance, are you?  Alsa might work
> differently there than in 2.4...  in which case I'll have to load 2.6 and
> try it out here.
>
> cheers
> Miller

I've tried alsa with pd-37 on 2 separate machines and 3 different
soundcards.   On each of them, alsa is working and I can play sound with
apps such as xmms or aplay.   However, with pd-37, alsa doesn't work at
all.

sb audigy:  alsa doesn't work, hangs pd.  oss over alsa works on an sb
audigy. jack also works.

RME hammerfall:  alsa doesn't work, hangs pd.  oss over alsa hangs pd.
jack works fine.

ess 1968: alsa deosn't work, hangs pd.  oss over alsa doesn't work, hangs
pd. jack doesn't work (because of jackd problems with this card).

before, alsa was working fine with all of them.  I also get a number of
alsa compile problems with pd-37.

best -august.