[PD] Jpegs + pixel co-ordinates

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 16 19:10:46 CET 2004

Zitiere Alyte Podvoiskis <ap137 at york.ac.uk>:

> I've created a graphics window from which it is easy and quick to get
> mouse-cursor co-ordinates. As soon as I render a Jpeg to the window
> its
> takes an age for the co-ordinates to arrive. Is this to do with me
> using
> pix_draw??? What can I use instead, without applying texture because I
> only
> want to work in 2-D, and I want to display the image at the same time
> as
> getting the co-ordinates.

hi.

by now  i know that you are using Gem (but it still would be cool to put
libraries you are referencing at some prominent place in your email)

[pix_draw] *is* slow.
indeed it is very slow.
no hardware i know will accelerate [pix_draw]

the solution is using textures.
textures are fast - at least if you have hw-acceleration.
if you don't, they are still faster than [pix_draw]
textures let you do all kind of things in a very efficient way (like scaling, or
overall color/blending)

2D is a sub-set of 3D.
so everything you can do in 2D can be done in 3D too. but things that can be
done in 3D might be problematic in 2D space
no one will force you to do 3d-graphics with Gem.
just stay in the xy-plane.
but don't use [pix_draw] if you want performance ;-)

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes