[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Dynamics patch on pure-data

cgc cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Mar 17 00:28:39 CET 2004

Ben's patch spends al least 1/3 of it's time doing audio computation in
the [pd smooth] abstraction!  I know of a much better object to do this
with which doesn't require audio rate computation.  I replaced the
audio smooth with the control rate one and CPU load was halved and the
frame-rate more than doubled.  There's not a public version of it for
pd but I can see about making it available soon.

The rest of the patch spends it's time in curve3d, which I've known to
be fairly inefficient for some time due to the fact that the GL drivers
actually create the geometry using the CPU and not GPU.  I don't know
of an easier way to get the same results other than glEvaluators but it
might be possible to re-implement things as vertex arrays and use some
Alitvec or possibly even do some sort of shader.  I think the RedBook
has the underlying math in the NURBS chapter.

cgc