[PD] Gem Reduction CVS compile error

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Wed Mar 17 00:34:28 CET 2004

> > Zitiere thewade <pdman at aproximation.org>:
> > I need some help.
> >
> > As as we all have become painfully aware, I have not been able to
> > compile Gem. I need to be shut up, and to thoes ends I am asking for
> > some debugging help.
> >
> > Heres the situation.
> >
> > The configure script for Gem (Gem/src/Gnu/configure) tries to compile
> > the following as an attempt to detect -lGL:
> >
> > gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lGL  -Wl,-shared
> > -Wl,-export-dynamic -lXxf86vm -lXext -lX11  1>&5
> >
> > And fails. When I try to compile removing the -Wl,-shared portion of the
> > line I get success. What does this mean? I cannot remove this flag from
> > the configure script because then the build will fail, right?
> > In short, If I trick the configure script to passing this portion, then
> > will the build fail later?
>
> well, i\'d say: try it, what do you have to lose ?

Id have to do some weird sed trick in the configure script and then reattach the -Wl,-shared for the rest of the configure script, and that seems like trouble to me. I guess that Im not that fimiliar with shell scripting to do that.
LIBS=echo $LIBS | sed s/\\-Wl\\,\\-shared//
then
LIBS=$LIBS -Wl,-shared
?

> you could also try the \"--enable-static\" flag for the configure (on my machine
> it then fails to find the the GL-libraries -- so maybe...)

I not too fimiliar with what static versus shared means, but it seems like static would introduce more toubles like below.

> i have never tried to link Gem only statically against all the libraries
> needed.
> on my system it fails (but i have nvidia\'s openGL-drivers which are
> dynamic only).
> and of course, you will have to build gem again once you want
> hw-acceleration...

Im not sure how to set up hardware acceleration. I read that openGL comes with Xfree86 and that ati has special drivers, but not for my rage 128 (i think thats what this old Dell i8000 has).

Is theres some way to replace libstdc++ with something else, like g++ or something? Are there some environment variables I can set that would clear this up? Could I downgrade gcc for this build, would that help?

rpm -I --old-package

Thanks for the speedy reply!
-thewade