[PD] [Gem]What units does [Rectangle] take?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 17 19:13:08 CET 2004

Alyte Podvoiskis wrote:
> What units does [Rectangle] take for its width and height dimensions? I want
> my image to fit exactly into my predefined graphics window so did the
> relevant conversions (pixels divided by 96.1) but my image has shrunk and
> does not infact fill the graphics window!

it is fathoms.
the problem is, that whether your rectangle fits exactly into the screen
or not is dependent on from where you look at it.
imagine you are looking through a small window onto a sheet of paper
that is (say) 4 fathoms away from the window.
now you can resize the sheet to "fit" exactly into your window.
what happens if you (and your window) step back another 3 fathoms ?
the sheet will not "fit" anymore, it will appear smaller (although the
size has stayed the same)

from the standard viewpoint, your rectangle should be 4 fathoms high and
  whatever fathoms wide (depending on the x/y-ratio of the window)

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes