[PD] hw advice wanted for installation project

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sat Mar 20 06:33:40 CET 2004

vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
> I need a small micro-ATX mainboard for an installation project to run pd/linux
> on. I am thinking of a athlon board with LAN and VGA and onboard sound. Does
> anybody have experience with the onboard sound of these boards, which sound
> ok, which work well under linux etc?

Try one of those "all in one" taiwanese motherboards with integrated
processors. They're cheap, uses Linux compatible chipsets (Via or SiS),
and are reliable enough.

For example, I use that board as my home server and mp3/ogg player:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/pd_spec.asp?product_id=418

It uses a VIA8233 sound chip, which sometimes seems tricky to setup
properly with alsa, although it works very well on my system wihout
anything special.  In any case, check these pages:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?module=via82xx
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

--
Marc