[PD] Good PD programming practice

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 21 22:29:07 CET 2004

Looks good.  Some comments on the website:

> Programming conventions are important because:
>
>     * Hardly any software is maintained for its whole life by the
> original author.
>     * Code conventions improve the readability of the software,
> allowing engineers to understand new code more quickly and thoroughly.

You should also highlight that conventions allow you to remember what
you where doing in your own software when you come back to it after
working on other stuff for a while.  Even the best forget some of the
details of what they were doing before.

> Use abbreviations where they are available, such as those provided in
> the table below. These make the patches less cluttered. A mixture of
> abbreviated and unabbreviated objects is harder to follow than either
> wholly one or the other.

The image doesn't match what you are saying here since the image says
that using the full names is bad.  I often find it useful to use the
full names in order to make that object longer, which makes it a more
readible division in the code and gives you more room to lay things out
cleanly.  Since Pd doesn't have the Max-style resizable object boxes,
this is the only way that I know how to do this.

.hc