[PD] Good PD programming practice?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 21 22:35:14 CET 2004

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > There are a massive amount of books about programming techniques for
> > procedural and object oriented languages, but there is basically
> > nothing about programming techniques for patcher languages, even
> > though they have been around for 20+ years and are decently widespread
> > in use.
>
> Among other things, I think it may be because patcher languages (aka
> visual dataflow languages) are different enough from each other that
> techniques that may apply to Max/Pd aren't reusable elsewhere, and so
> on. Also, it's normally a subsegment of the programmer population that
> seems the most concerned/experienced with complexity management, but most
> users of those programming environments are nonprogrammers.

Recently I came to think of another way to find "good practices", and
that is, to compare how users of different experience levels would
solve a problem. If I look at my very early patches like the PDX7 (a
mess!) and then at some of my recent stuff like the rradical thingies,
there could be a lot to learn in regard to, what the years of Pd usage
in between have told me. The differences probably are, what makes up
good practice.

Like in my newer patches, there still are messy things, but those are
in "unimportant" areas. Generally my stuff now is much more organized
and modularized, while the early stuff now is very hard to even
understand ("What did this number box do, and where does this send
lead to?")

ciao