[PD] Anyone running PD on VIA processors?

Sean Costello seancostello2003 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 05:15:09 CET 2004

Hi all:

Has anyone here tried running Pure Data on the VIA processors, as found on
the Mini-ITX or Nano-ITX motherboards? The size of these motherboards is
very appealing (the Nano-ITX is only 12x12 cm), but I have read some pretty
underwhelming reports of performance on these processors.

Not sure how Linux support stands, and I am also not sure if there are ALSA
drivers for the built-in soundchips. It would also remain to be seen if the
small cache size is a problem - it seems like cache size is critical to
performance with MAX/MSP.

Anyway, if anyone has tried PD on a VIA system, it would be interesting to
hear your results. An x86 computer that fits in a large stompbox would be
pretty cool. Even if the performance isn't stellar, it might be useable as a
programmable effects unit that far surpasses any commercial unit in a
similar price range, but with more durability than your average laptop.

Sean Costello