[PD] [GEM] Iterating geos trick

Johannes Taelman j0 at advalvas.be
Wed Mar 24 22:23:20 CET 2004

I've found a trick to use one gemhead and one gem-geo-object to render
multiple instances of the same geo. This could be very usefull to create
complex computer-generated gem scenes.

Like it is now, I hade to create an obscure mess with
[prepend list]
[l]
and [$1 $2 $3(

to do with a gemList what[float] does for floats and [symbol] for
symbols. Without the [prepend list], [l] does not want to take it, and
without the [$1 $2 $3(, separator does not like it.

It works, but it crashes every time I stop the rendering. Probably
something to do with fixing the gemList data to 3 atoms, which isn't
always the case. Or is this trick a huge can of worms that will make
every gem object buggy?

Is there a solution or workaround for this? A specific [gemlist]
container object would be nice for the next gem release (hint :).

In attachment there is a demo patch ("gem-loop-test.pd") that shows
animating 3D lissajous figures consisting out of 256 spheres. Anyone
knows a nice hack to connect the spheres with tubes?

thanks,
j#|@