[PD] how do i interact with pd without gui?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 25 16:13:14 CET 2004

If you open a port using a [netreceive] you can send any message to pd
using the command line tools pdsend and pdreceive, or anything that can
open a TCP port and send semicolon-terminated text to it.  You could
probably do this with OSC as well.

If you create a netreceive with a third argument, its like sending
semi-colon-preceeded mesages i.e. [; msg(  Here's an example:

[netreceive 4444 0 old]

4444 is the TCP port number, 0 means use TCP (1=UDP), and as for ''old"
  I am not sure exactly what the symbol does, I just know that its
presense makes it send the messages into the global space.  (Anyone
know exactly what that symbol argument specifies?)

So to send messages to a [receive my_msgs] you would run this from the
command line:

pdsend 4444 "my_msgs hello world;"

.hc