[PD] how do i interact with pd without gui?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 26 16:34:43 CET 2004

On Friday, Mar 26, 2004, at 06:58 America/New_York, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> Hallo,

>>> that was my first thought, but if you press a key on the console,
>>> it's not grabbed by pd ... i actually don't know why, but it's
>>> possible, that pd's keyboard access is through the gui ...
>>
>> If you're on Linux you can use Hans' linuxevent objects which read
>> globally.
> do i? i only have my mouse listed in /dev/input, but not the
> keyboard...

[linuxevent] supports any device that the Linux event system does.  The
Linux event mostly supports USB devices, so AFAIK PS/2 mice don't work,
for example.  So maybe only USB keyboards work with this, but I'd like
to be wrong about this.

You might need to load a kernel module like evdev, or usbkeyb or
something like that.