[PD] pd start&alsa (maybe not...)

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Mar 29 01:57:39 CEST 2004

Hi Peter,

I have not sucessfully run my RME-HDSP with PD + ALSA. PD runs with the
built-in soundcard of my laptop + ALSA, and the HDSP works fine with
ALSA + any other app, but to use PD + HDSP, I must either use
OSS-emulation or Jack. I would recommend going these routes, rather than
fighting with ALSA.

Of course, if somebody else has this figured out, I'd love to hear about
it...

best,
d.

plessas at sbox.tugraz.at wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> spent a great deal of today's sunday installing alsa 1.0 for my rme-hdsp card,
> and compiling pd 0.37.1 from sourceforge. when trying to start pd and enabling
> the alsa feature in >Media i get:
>
> using non-interleaved audio input
> Sample width set to 4 bytes
> ALSA: set input channels to 14
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:324:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed:
> Operation not permitted
> snd_pcm_hw_params (input): Operation not permitted
> pd: pcm.c:4915: snd_pcm_sw_params_current: Assertion `pcm->setup' failed.
> Pd: signal 6
> pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> Perhaps thats me doing sth. wrong with permissions, and it might not be
> connected tp pd as well, though there might be someone giving me a hint what i
> could do to solve this.
>
> Thank you and have a nice week!
>
> Peter Plessas

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl