[PD] Pd performance and externals in OSX, XP & Linux?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 30 01:36:03 CEST 2004

Hallo,
chun lee hat gesagt: // chun lee wrote:

> Is Pd equally developed on all platforms? Or does one platform has more
> people developing externals than the others? And are they equally stable? I
> have access to OSX, WinXP and Linux. Which one should I run Pd on? Or does
> it not matter?

Pd itself is practically the same on all platforms. For externals in
general, it seems, that Linux is the platform of choice for most
developers. It seems to be a lot easier to setup a compiler chain for
Pd on Linux than it is for Windows, especially if you don't want to
use/buy Visual C++. But I'm biased here as I use Pd only on Linux.
Still you will find Linux-Makefiles for every external on the
pure-data.sf.net CVS while Windows make setups are too often missing.

This shouldn't stop you from developing for Windows (or Mac) though,
as there is quite a need for experienced developers on these platforms
as well. Though as a Linux evangelist I'd recommend to use Linux only,
of course. ;)

ciao