[PD] PiDiP OSX

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Tue Mar 30 04:28:26 CEST 2004

hi,

plessas at sbox.tugraz.at wrote:

>Hi List, dear Sevy!
>
>Thanks for the great support in helping with pdp-on-osx!
>
>My current state is:
>I am on 10.2.8 (i don't want to go for a costly OS upgrade), using Apple's X11.
>on pd startup i get (i think the same as Sara):
>./pd can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.1.dylib  (No such file)

oh, must be this Patrick bumped into,
maybe on Apple's 10.2.8 Xserver, there's no Xvideo extension
but there should be in the Xfree86 server installed with fink
( the one i've worked with ).
Could you try to install  xfree86 with fink??
that's what's recommended in the INSTALL_NOTES.txt.

pd #1 : what really upsets me is that, if you have 10.2.8 or 10.3, G3 or G4,
webcam or dv, some things will/will not work..
Have they ever thought of standards and compatibilities in their big
offices ??

>than, as you suggested, i did a "make" (to relink the libs) in the pdp_pidip_osx
>dir and got:
>
>g++: /sw/src/ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a: No such file or directory
>g++: /sw/src/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a: No such file or directory
>make: *** [darwin] Error 1
>
>so i found your message about using a special version of ffmpeg from your
>www-page, tried to compile it and got at ./configure:
>
>ld: can't locate file for: -ldl
>ld: Undefined symbols:
>_dlopen
>
>so before i go on and try to debug the ffmpeg compilation process, i wanted to
>ask if i can run make in pdp_pidip_osx without having to compile ffmpeg (your
>website says that ffmpeg is optional)

this version has been built with ffmpeg support,
so i guess you have to build ffmpeg
( if you choose to keep your installed X server ),
and fix the paths in the Makefile.

a hint for what is missing for ffmpeg, seems your build system is not
complete,
fink it with :
"fink selfupdate"
"fink index"

pd #2 : i prefer to have it running with xfree86
cause i like the word "free", very childish on my side

pd #3 : oke, i misunderstood that message with only word :: "rats...",
wouldn't  you have done the same ??
but oke, you can speak to me as a normal person
( without adding too much 'respect' like this ) ))))

cheers,
sevy