.pdrc for Windows WAS: Re: [PD] pd 0.37.1 Windows installer release candidate

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 30 05:59:29 CEST 2004

On Monday, Mar 29, 2004, at 22:41 America/New_York, Mathieu Bouchard
wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Matthew Allen wrote:
>
>> there is no .pdrc for windows at this time. The only way to get libs
>> loaded on windows is to run pd as a .bat file.
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Windows has no .pdrc unfortunately.  Anyone know why the .pdrc file is
>> disabled on Windows?  I know my .emacs file works fine with Emacs NT,
>> so Windows can do files that start with a ".".
>

> Okay, I'm a bit tired of seeing that Windows doesn't have pdrc
> support...
> so here's one fix for that. In the IMPD branch I have patched s_main.c
> and
> s_path.c so that it looks for .pdrc in one additional directory, which
> is
> the main directory of Pd.
>
> For example:
> 	Linux default: /usr/local/lib/pd/
> 	Other common default: /usr/lib/pd/
> 	My setup: /home/matju/lib/pd/
> 	Windows: c:/program/pd/
>
> Essentially I am using the value of sys_libdir.
>
> This could (and probably should) be ported over to the devel_0_37
> branch.
>
> The #ifdef UNIX part is down to two lines, and I guess a similar #ifdef
> MSW could be added, which would check for both $HOMEPATH and $HOME,
> using
> GetEnvironmentVariable instead of getenv, but I don't have any win32 to
> test, so I will let someone else do it, if anyone feels a need for it.

I don't think that that's necessary in order to get .pdrc files working
on Windows. Windows can have a home dir set like UNIX, so it could just
as easily go there.  But it would probably make sense to have a .pdrc
file in the App dir, but perhaps it should then have a different name,
like pd.rc or pd.conf.