[PD] buying PC's: Quantity vs. Quality

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Thu Apr 1 03:50:03 CEST 2004

By the Edirol being programmable I meant that the effects themselves could be programmable, kind of like a Nord
Modular for video manipulation. If it was like that I would definitely try to find a way to get it, as I
probably wouldn't need more than a few distinct effects.

I figured I would need at least two computers because of the audio dropout with GEM; I've got my personal
lappie and then, hopefully, a $1500 grant to buy the school a new computer. Plus there's this monsterous dual
Xeon that's being used lightly for video editing, that I may be able to conscript. And there's a 'tantalizing'
offer of a half dozen Pentium II 400MHz rigs.

I don't quite understand why the Motu would make the difference over the Audigy. Basically, PD outputs with
dac~ to which you could give as many arguements as you have channels, right? So why wouldn't "dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6
7" give seven channel sound? And if that wouldn't work with the Audigy, why would it with the Motu?

>     Say where are you studying?
I'm an undergrad in Computer Science and Dance at Marlboro College in Vermont.

-Ian