.pdrc for Windows WAS: Re: [PD] pd 0.37.1 Windows installer release candidate

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 1 11:03:08 CEST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> > In the IMPD branch I have patched s_main.c
> > and s_path.c so that it looks for .pdrc in one additional
> > directory, which is the main directory of Pd.
> > Essentially I am using the value of sys_libdir.
>
> I don't think that that's necessary in order to get .pdrc files working
> on Windows. Windows can have a home dir set like UNIX, so it could just
> as easily go there.

There's a difference between necessary and convenient. I'm not sure
Windows users should be required to set HOME themselves, and I don't think
it's set by default, but then, what do I know about win32.

> but perhaps it should then have a different name, like pd.rc or
> pd.conf.

Yeah, I recommended "pd.ini" when Carmen told me win32 apps usually refuse
to edit files named like ".pdrc"...

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> the users-preferences should overwrite the system defaults. (but why ?
> it just makes more sense to me), but they should really be merged.

Can you be more clear on what you call overwrite (you probably mean
override) and what's the difference with merged.

> and being at this, we would like a command flag "-rcfile <file>" to
> solely use another rcfile.

That could be an interesting option, though I'm trying to keep in mind
that there will be a pdrc editor dialog real soon now and what would be a
good way for that dialog to handle -rcfile and defaults and
fallbacks/merges/overrides/however-we-call-it, in a friendly manner...