.pdrc for Windows WAS: Re: [PD] pd 0.37.1 Windows installer release candidate

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 1 16:01:48 CEST 2004

hi.

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>>the users-preferences should overwrite the system defaults. (but why ?
>>it just makes more sense to me), but they should really be merged.
>

> Can you be more clear on what you call overwrite (you probably mean
> override) and what's the difference with merged.

of course i meant override.

and thinking of it, i don't know many conflicting options.
i was just proposing that the system file was read before the users
preferences.

>>and being at this, we would like a command flag "-rcfile <file>" to
>>solely use another rcfile.
>

> That could be an interesting option, though I'm trying to keep in mind
> that there will be a pdrc editor dialog real soon now and what would be a
> good way for that dialog to handle -rcfile and defaults and
> fallbacks/merges/overrides/however-we-call-it, in a friendly manner...

well i guess we could just set up a policy like:
if you start pd with the "-rcfile"-option, then this file would be the
only one included (and no default file would be used)
if a preferences-file holds the "-rcflag"-line, then this line would be
included at the very place.

this would make the system-wide rcfile simple, as any user just would
(have to) include the same file (at the beginning of his/her rcfile of
wherever it would be desired)

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes