.pdrc for Windows WAS: Re: [PD] pd 0.37.1 Windows installer release candidate

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 2 18:37:35 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Martin Peach hat gesagt: // Martin Peach wrote:

> I see no reason why  the handler for your dialog couldn't write out
> a pd.bat file when the user clicks OK or Apply.

Why a .bat file? This feels crude in my eyes. The natural thing would
be, to start using a real config file instead of a list of command
line options in a file or even a .bat file. With a .bat or .sh script
you cannot start the Pd binary itself anymore using set options, with
a command list, you cannot include the "-rcfile" command option
because that would loop if used in pdrc.

A real config file (or registry or whatever) would even allow comments
like in the old days of Pd 0.31 or so.

Maybe something like the .ini-file format, which is common on both Win and
Unix (don't know Mac) would be appropriate, maybe extended by comments

  [Audio]
  System: jack
  Channels: 4

  [Paths]
  path1="/usr/lib/pd:/home/fbar/pd/"
  path2="/usr/lib/flext/"

Of course the "#"- and "="-format would be even more powerful:

  # which audiosystem to use
  audiosystem = asio

  # add paths:
  paths = /usr/lib/pd

  # append another path
  paths = $(paths):/home/pd

  libs = iemlib1:iemlib2

  # use this only sometimes:
  # libs = $(libs):Gem

But a .bat or .sh file is not platform independent and thus not
appropriate in the long run IMO.

ciao