[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 03:32:19 CEST 2004

Let's keep this on the list, it could be helpful to others.

On Wednesday, Apr 7, 2004, at 19:39 America/New_York, chun lee wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> Thanks for your reply:)
>
>> What happened to #2? ;)  Anyway, this depends on where and how you
>> installed Pd.  If you used the installer, then the externals are
>> installed into /usr/local/lib/pd/extra.
>
> Ya, #2 was deleted cause it sounded a bit silly..... Anyway, I figured
> out
> the externals are all at '/usr/local/lib/pd/extra' but the folder is
> hidden
> in the Finder. Is there a way that I can gain access to these folders
> via
> the Finder? Or could I use the Terminal to copy the /extra folder to
> somewhere that I have access to and then change the file path in Pd? I
> will
> give it a try...

There are two ways that I know to open hidden folders with the GUI.
First in the Open panel, you can just type it and hit enter.  Or from
the Terminal.app, you can do:  "open /usr/local/lib/pd/extra"

.hc

>> pdb is a great resource, but unfortunately, since it has to be
>> manually
>> updated, it doesn't get updated much.  So it shouldn't be taken as
>> definitive.  The easiest way to find out what objects are installed on
>> your computer is to look in the above mentioned externals directory.
>>
>> .hc
>
> Ok, now I know.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Yours
>
> CHUN

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

                                                     - Thomas Jefferson