[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 16:01:35 CEST 2004

Work is already underway to do that, but there are problems.  There are
two things left that need to be done in order to make this work.

1) MacOS X tries to be too smart and treats .app directories in a
special way, so you can't browse them.  This means that if the pd/doc/
directory is in the .app directory, then when you try to read the docs
in Pd, it just shows you the Application.  A workaround to this needs
to be found

2) An "AppMail.tcl" script needs to be written in order to make Pd.app
function like a double-clickable app.  Here's a howto:
http://www.ling.lu.se/persons/Johan/tcl/

I won't have time to work on these until July.  But if someone figures
out these two issues, then it will be easy to do the rest.

.hc

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 04:39 America/New_York, guenter geiger
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A Mac user suggested that it would be more "mac like" to put the whole
> Pd distribution into one single Application directory instead of
> using the unix file system standard.
>
> I think technically it is feasable, what do you think about producing
> the Mac packages that way ?
>
> Guenter
>

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Let's keep this on the list, it could be helpful to others.
>>
>> On Wednesday, Apr 7, 2004, at 19:39 America/New_York, chun lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply:)

>>> Ya, #2 was deleted cause it sounded a bit silly..... Anyway, I
>>> figured
>>> out
>>> the externals are all at '/usr/local/lib/pd/extra' but the folder is
>>> hidden
>>> in the Finder. Is there a way that I can gain access to these folders
>>> via
>>> the Finder? Or could I use the Terminal to copy the /extra folder to
>>> somewhere that I have access to and then change the file path in Pd?
>>> will
>>> give it a try...
>>

>> There are two ways that I know to open hidden folders with the GUI.
>> First in the Open panel, you can just type it and hit enter.  Or from
>> the Terminal.app, you can do:  "open /usr/local/lib/pd/extra"
>>

>> .hc

>>> Ok, now I know.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Yours
>>>
>>> CHUN

>> __
>> ____
>>
>> "If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
>> exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an
>> idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps
>> it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
>> the
>> possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
>> it."
>>
>>                                                      - Thomas
>> Jefferson

____