[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 16:23:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 10:11 America/New_York, Hans-Christoph
Steiner wrote:

> On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 05:26 America/New_York, Thomas Grill
> wrote:
>

>>> A Mac user suggested that it would be more "mac like" to put the
>>> whole
>>> Pd distribution into one single Application directory instead of
>>> using the unix file system standard.
>>
>> Hi Guenter,
>> there's already the uPDated package which conforms to the OSX way of
>> things.
>
> The uPDated package does have a double-clickable .app package, but I
> would not say that it conforms to the MacOS X way.  First off, when it
> launches, there are two icons, one for the Platypus system that it
> uses with a Pd icon, and one for the Wish Shell with the standard Wish
> Shell icon.  This is actually more confusing than just having the Wish
> Shell icon running because clicking on the Pd icon doesn't take you to
> Pd, but just the launcher, which seems to do nothing once Wish Shell
> is running.  Plus, Pd is still labeled "Wish" once its running.    It
> also suffers from MacOS X not wanting to show the /doc/ directory.
>
> The AppMain.tcl script is the way things need to be done in order to
> have Pd behave like a MacOS X application.  Check out this nice, free
> sound editor to see an good example of AppMain.tcl in action:
> http://www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/    Actually, it is probably a
> good place to look to see how a number of GUI things should be done
> with Tcl, things like key bindings, etc.

I just downloaded the new version of Wavesurfer, and it now displays
"Wishkit" as the name of the app under MacOS X, which is unfortunate.
I am pretty sure it used to say "Wavesurfer".

The way they have done the console, using tkcon, is quite nice and I
think should be replicated in Pd.  Its a fully featured console that
also will show all the messages.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams