[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 16:41:56 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 09:28 America/New_York, James Tittle II
wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2004, at 4:39 AM, guenter geiger wrote:
>> A Mac user suggested that it would be more "mac like" to put the whole
>> Pd distribution into one single Application directory instead of
>> using the unix file system standard.
>>
>> I think technically it is feasable, what do you think about producing
>> the Mac packages that way ?
>
> hey guenter,
>
> ...yeh, not only desirably and technically feasable, but already done
> several times over ;-)  I came up with "pd++.app" (
> http://homepage.mac.com/tigital ) because pd needed to be correctly
> registered with the window manager in order to get window events
> working when using Gem (think dragging the gemwin around, grabbing the
> mouse/keyboard)...it also has a popup text entry to allow entry of
> flags at startup (but this seems to bork the .pdrc
> functionality)...anyway, it was just a sketch to get the gem stuff
> correct...
>
> ...more promising is stuff like uPDated, which is a wrapped up version
> of impd ( http://pure-data.iem.at/Members/gerard/uPDated ) using a
> script building application called Platypus...this is really the way
> to go, I think, because it now allows tcl/tk/wish shell to be bundle
> inside also, so you really have a "place anywhere" double clickable
> application...well, ya still need to have the documentation/example
> patches somewhere...
>
> ...I plan on making a standalone app the "platypus" way, kinda like a
> "tigital distro", with gem and stuff I use...

How about working with me to include Gem/etc in the standard distro?
Having one working distro would be much better than three half-working
distros.  On a basic level, Gem just needs to be able to be compiled on
via a Makefile issuing commands.  Then the whole thing can be built by
typing "make darwin_app".  I've got almost everything in the Pd CVS
working in this way, it would be great to have Gem added to this.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                              -Stewart Brand