[PD] makenote and duplicate notes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 8 19:54:57 CEST 2004

Hallo,
William Fields hat gesagt: // William Fields wrote:

> I am using "makenote" and I am running into a problem with duplicate
> notes.  If I tell it to send note 32 with duration 2000ms, then 1000ms
> later I tell it to send the same note (32 with duration 2000ms), the
> second note gets cut off after 1000ms by the first note's note-off
> message.  The second note-off message is still sent but is useless because
> the note is no longer playing.
> Any ideas?

This depends, on what you want to do with these notes. Makenote's
behaviour is correct (at least it does, what it says it would do), so
the problem is after it. The note-off of the first note cannot know,
that there will be another note-off later.

If you want polyphony, you need to use [poly] afterwards and route
notes accordingly. A [poly 1 1] will implicitly create a note-off
before the second note comes, whereas a [poly 1] (== [poly 1 0]) will
simply ignore the second, overlapping note altogether. ([poly 2 1]
will route it to the second voice.)

For a monoized synth you might get inspired by
doc/3.audio.examples/C10.monophonic.synth.pd

ciao