MacOS X Pd.app WAS Re: [PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 20:07:59 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 12:47 America/New_York, 0001 wrote:

> hi
>

>> The uPDated package does have a double-clickable .app package, but I
>> would not say that it conforms to the MacOS X way.  First off, when
>> it launches, there are two icons, one for the Platypus system that it
>> uses with a Pd icon, and one for the Wish Shell with the standard
>> Wish Shell icon.  This is actually more confusing than just having
>> the Wish Shell icon running because clicking on the Pd icon doesn't
>> take you to Pd, but just the launcher, which seems to do nothing once
>> Wish Shell is running.
>
> I have this fixed now, I'll upload it soon, it's still hacky although,
> it is done by killing one of the processes in the script ;)
>

>> Plus, Pd is still labeled "Wish" once its running.
>
> and this is not fixed

Its not hard to fix IIRC, I think you just change then name of the app
in the Info.plist that is in the Wish Shell.app.

>>  It also suffers from MacOS X not wanting to show the /doc/ directory.
> oop, this  should be fixed in the version on the server

How did you fix this?

>> The AppMain.tcl script is the way things need to be done in order to
>> have Pd behave like a MacOS X application.
>
> you're right, but I couldn't figure how to doit the wavesurfer way
> without modifying the pd source.

I think there is a quick hack which might work, which is launching a
.term file from AppMain.tcl to open a terminal in Terminal.app.  The
console can either stay in the Terminal.app window, or it could just
launch Pd with a built-in console.

> The paltypus way has its advantages:
> * you can switch your pd version without recompiling (s long as it
> works with your tcl/tk)
> * you can do stuff in the startup script. The new version has a quite
> cool feature: it scans directories recursively, so that you can
> install externals, abstractons, libraries and help files via drag and
> drop :)

I think in the short term, the Platypus way is fine.  But I think for
the long run, we should figure out AppMain.tcl and get in as part of Pd.

>>> ...I plan on making a standalone app the "platypus" way, kinda like
>>> a "tigital distro", with gem and stuff I use...
>>
>> How about working with me to include Gem/etc in the standard distro?
>> Having one working distro would be much better than three
>> half-working distros.
>
> one thing that could be nice is doing a "visual" pd distro with gem,
> pdp and gridflow all together : O

It would be nice to have all of the code out there that people have
written for Pd in a distro (as long as its manageable, of course).

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

                                                     - Thomas Jefferson