Adding GEM to build system WAS Re: [PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 20:12:42 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 12:47 America/New_York, James Tittle II
wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> How about working with me to include Gem/etc in the standard distro?
>> Having one working distro would be much better than three
>> half-working distros.  On a basic level, Gem just needs to be able to
>> be compiled on via a Makefile issuing commands.  Then the whole thing
>> can be built by typing "make darwin_app".  I've got almost everything
>> in the Pd CVS working in this way, it would be great to have Gem
>> added to this.
>
> ...sounds good to me, because we'll need several versions anyway: G3,
> G4, G5 versions of pd, impd with all the goodies...of course, it may
> be possible to make loadable .dylibs of the different targets, but
> that's a whole 'nother can of worms...
>
> ...I believe chris already uses a makefile only build system...

I doesn't have to be a Makefile, there just has to be a way of
compiling only from the command line, then that can be added to the
packages/darwin_app Makefile.

> perhaps with the impending Gem release, we can import it to the pd
> externals repository?

Where is the GEM CVS currently? gem.iem.at?  I think it would only be
worth moving back to the pure-data.sf.net CVS if y'all were going to
use that to develop from.  But it might make sense to import 'releases'
to Pd CVS, then keep the development separate.  We could then import
the GEM code using the external vendor method, and fix bugs in the
'release' in Pd CVS using branching and merging to stay up to date with
newer releases.

.hc

                                     http://at.or.at/hans/