[PD] New To Pd

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Apr 9 22:47:53 CEST 2004

> 1.  Besides Dr. Miller Puckette who else is developing Pd?  Are his
> graduate students involved?  Some of the people on this board?
miller's branch is the official pd branch ...
beside that there is the cvs branch, that's based on miller's sources,
but has some further features ... there's also mathieu bouchard's impd
on the cvs, that's containing some additions (ask him for more)
basially everybody who is involved in developing pd or externals should
be on the pd / pd-dev list ...

> 2.  Does anyone mind, including Dr. Puckette, if someone else modifies
> Pd and distributes the modified version?   Are there popular modified
> versions?  Does Dr. Puckette ever check out modifications for
> inclusion into his software?
if i understand pd's license correctly you can take the code, modify it,
close the source and sell it (...and you can call it max/msp)
some parts of the cvs branch have been included to the main branch (e.g.
the jack support)

http://pure-data.iem.at/ is, what pure-data.org was ...

> For whatever reasons my programming skills have become a bit rusty.  I
> see Pd as a good opportunity to get my feet wet again and have some
> fun doing it.  Even make some art using my programming skills!  The C
> source for Pd I have looked at so far seems very clean and well
> written.  As do some of the examples written in Pd.
the external api of pd is a bit tricky (at least for me it was, but i'm
not a c programmer) ... there is a much cleaner api by thomas grill,
that's based on a c++ class system, called flext providing a
compatibility layer to develop externals for both pd and max/msp ...

if you've got a lot of free time, you could try to make pd thread-safe
;-)

anyway, welcome on the list... cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,