[PD] comport osx ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 16 05:11:38 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004, at 02:49 America/New_York,
<rat at telecoma.net> wrote:

>> If that adapter provides a /dev interface, I imagine that the port
>> from
>> the GNU/Linux object would be trivial.  For example, my USB->Serial
>> adapter creates /dev/tty.usbserial0.  But I don't know if anyone if
>> working on it.
>
> thx for the answer hans
> could a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0 solve this issue ?

No, that would just be an alias to any built-in serial ports that are
in your Mac.  That Mac would have to be Beige, because the newer ones
don't have serial ports built in anymore.  If your USB->serial adapter
doesn't have its own /dev/tty*, then the Linux comport object wouldn't
work.  You'd have to find a MacOS X Driver Kit object instead, or
something like that.  But I don't really know the details.

.hc

> erich
>

>> .hc
>>
>> On Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004, at 09:34 America/New_York,
>> <rat at telecoma.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i have a question regarding the comport object in osx:
>>> is somebody working on porting the comport object to osx
>>> so that it works for example with the keyspan usb/serial
>>> adapter ?
>>>
>>> thx for info
>>>
>>> erich

>> __
>> ____
>>
>>                      There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
>> 										-A.J. Muste

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

                                                     - Thomas Jefferson