[PD] Waveform Analysis?

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 17 00:42:20 CEST 2004

Actually that looks more like a audio/video track database
description/querying method. The question was more about how to get analysis
information from an audio stream. Something I am always interested in as
well.

Besides the analytical tools with orthonormal function-spaces (fourier etc.) I
am also looking into classification based on the geometric/topological
properties of the wave.
Things like the fractal dimension of the waveform over either a short window,
like fft's, or on longer segments.
They use this kind of stuff to analyse heart-rythms f.i.

It is not working yet, but it seems nice for my purposes because the results
are consistent but counter intuitive.
Remain the problems of identifying phrases and segments. And the biggest
problem for me, is that computer-analysis is almost always after the fact,
the note(beginning) or  the phrase.  The human ear is much better at hitting
a running target.

Gerard

--
electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml