[PD] defining "list" and "anything"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 17 18:18:00 CEST 2004

So working with the [tosymbol] and [fromsymbol] provided another good
example of the lists vs. anything confusion.  So it seems that this is
unlikely to change, so we need to find ways of documenting it well so
that it is less confusing.  Currently, there is a serious problem with
terminology.  The word "list" is often used logically rather than how
things are actually working.  For example, a list of atoms starting
with a symbol is not a "list" but an "anything", unless that list
starts with the selector "list".  So I think that we need to define
"list" in particular, and "anything" while we are at it, since its
related.  Consistent use of the word "list" would make things much
easier to follow.  So here's a first attempt:

"list": a "list" is a group of atoms that either starts with the
selector "list" or a "float".

"anything": an "anything" is a group of atoms that either starts with
the selector "anything" or a "symbol"

these are different kinds of lists, i.e. not "lists" (from the Pd docs):

"sorted list of tilde objects"

"Click the "DIO errors" button to see a list of recent errors"

""Help" for the canvas as a whole (right-clicking outside any object)
gives a list of all built-in objects."

"Unless they arrange otherwise by defining a "list" method, objects
respond to the "list" message by distributing the arguments of the
message to their inlets, except for the first argument which is passed
as a "float" or "symbol" message to the object proper."

"Pd objects are provided to traverse lists and arrays,

It would be great to have a glossary of these words defined in the Pd
sense and a style guide for how to write the Pd words in help patches.
One example of something for the style guide would be to have all Pd
words in quotes, for example "list", "bang", "float", etc.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli