[PD] Waveform Analysis?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 19 05:31:50 CEST 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:

> It may be useful to have a smaller window with some music--the
> similarities found then would be in harmonies, rather than larger
> scale properties (maybe thematic structure and repetition?) that may
> differ greatly within a genre.

Oh. That is right.

> >Art is in denial.
[...]
> You may argue that this in itself is aesthetic, the aesthetic of the
> state of mind of the creator or something,

I mean æsthetic as the rationale for making something instead of something
else. You may call yourself "not being fussy about æsthetics" but you may
not avoid some framework of æsthetics, even if it's only in your head. You
may call it "judgements of value" instead if you prefer.

> the aesthetic of the enjoyment of the process maybe.

The process may be interesting, and may actually attract a lot of
attention, but the centre of attention is supposed to be the end result in
the first place, else it's not as much (experimental) art as it is
artistic research, though nowadays the two often get conflated.

> concept, denial of concept, denial of aesthetic, whatever.

> Any discussion of such may as well be about another piece. I welcome
> such discussion and find it interesting, but it is more an excercise
> in strategies of debate than

Well, I'm talking of aesthetic in a general sense, which may include
implied personal aesthetics, instead of just being about discourse, debate
and politics.

> in coming to the heart of the work--which may just be the experience
> of creation.

The experience of creation is at the "process" level, but I think the end
result _is_ the most important part. Art is communication (as in: has a
communicative aspect), else there would be little difference between
artistic and autistic ;-)

If you want to put an emphasis on the process, you _can_ include process
documentation as part of the end result, which incidentally makes the
process not just a process anymore. But except in those [rather rare]
cases, if you don't express the process to your audience, how would they
know what it is, and then, how would they know that it's
important/essential ?