[PD] installing two Pd & .deb to .tar.gz

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 19 14:22:10 CEST 2004

Hallo,
chun lee hat gesagt: // chun lee wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 16:08, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > chun lee wrote:
> > > hi there:
> > >
> > > just another quick questions;)
> > >
> > > 1. how can i install 2 pd on in Linux? for example, having both pd and
> > > pd-extended.
> >
> > just put them into 2 separate paths and call the instance apropriately.
> > deb/rpm-packages tend to install files into /usr/bin /usr/lib ...
> > when compiling software yourself it is good use to install applications
> > into /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib ...
>
> thanks, i will try this.

It also is possible to use PlanetCCRMA's Pd, which is available for
Fedora as well. The Planet contains many other useful audio and
multimedia applications as well, for example LADSPA plugins.

> > > 2. i have redhat fedora, and is there a way to convert the .deb file
> > > into .tar.gz?
> > dpkg -x maddebfile_0.1-1_i386.deb .
> > the files are in the data.tar.gz file
>
> i have just downloaded dpkg and tried to make and install it. however, i
> got stuck at 'make install '. not sure what happened, got quite a bit of
> error messages from it. if you could help me to figure it out, i will
> include the errors in the next reply

I'd say, don't bother with dpkg on Fedora. You should be able to just
as well build Pd and the externals from source, provided you install
the necessary developer tools. Then simply check out the whole CVS
from pure-data.sf.net as described in the docs there, go into the pd-source,
rund "./configure && make install", and afterwards run "make" in
"externals/build/linux/" as well. This will give you most of the
externals in the pd-externals package, maybe even more.

Ciao