[PD] hdsp & pd (again..)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 20 17:57:54 CEST 2004

aym3ric wrote:

> My questions are quite simple:
> - what is the best interface to use an hdsp with ? oss, alsa, jack ?
> (when you just need to run pd and don't need to forward the audio
> elsewhere)

if you want multichannel output (and you most probably want it as you
have spent your money on it), you will *have* to use alsa/jack.

why?
- there are no OSS drivers for the hdsp (there are drivers for the
normal "old" (and superior, in my opinion) hammerfall, but none forthe hdsp)
- so there are only ALSA-drivers; however pd's alsa support is bad as it
cannot do multichannel. so you cannot "just" use alsa
- pd's jack support is better than it's alsa support (although far from
perfect); at least it can do multichannel.

so your setup should be something like
pd->jack->alsa->hdsp

(yesterday this gave me about 13ms latency which is quite ok)

i am running 2.6-kernels and i don't think that there are any reasons
not to use it.

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes