[PD] remembering the search paths...?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 20 21:45:36 CEST 2004

Hallo,
chun lee hat gesagt: // chun lee wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 23:20, CK wrote:
> > I read:
> > >
> > > my Pd is on Fedora Linux and i am pretty new to it. i don't quite
> > > understand this. i can't seems to locate this file/binary/script.
> >
> > it's not there by defaultm it's a file in
> > /home/username_who_runs_pd/
> > (where cd at the shell prompt takes you)
> > it's a textfile you have to put there and basically
> > you can put pd command line options in there you
> > want to have run everytime
> ok, i understand this bit now.

The tilde "~" is just a shortcut for your HOME directory, wherever
that is. It normally is /home/your_username but that doesn't have to
be so. That's why people just call it "~". You can use that shortcut
on the command line and in many applications, for example in Pd's
"Open file" dialog. Just type "~" into the "File name" fiels, press
ENTER and you're home.

> not quite understand the syntax of the script below:( i got a fedora
> book and in it there is a format of
>
> [sonicvariable at localhost sonicvariable]$ cat .pdrc
> .
> .
> .
> [sonicvariable at localhost sonicvariable]
>
> would this also work?

Now I don't understand this. "cat" just prints the contents of a file
to your shell. "cat" can be abused as text editor, but normally you'd
use a real text editor for it.

> i have tried making a script this way but keeps the rest of the script
> the same as you have below apart from the actual file paths. but i got
> 'permission denied '?

You don't need a script. Just do a "editor ~/-pdrc" with "editor" some
text editor (many distributions, e.g. Debian provide an editor as
"editor" program.

Ciao