[PD] hdsp & pd (again..)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 21 12:21:08 CEST 2004

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:
> hello
>

>>- what is the typical nice setting for pd with an hdsp
>>(blocksize/latency) ? what latency do you usually have ?
>

> I use 64 or 128 samples, with 2 periods (I can't change this latter one
> actually)
> Latency is 2.9 ms (64 smp) or 5.38 ms (128 smp)

now i know why you all get so damned good latencies.
i guess the numbers are plain wrong when you refer to pd.

when you set the samples/period-value to something like 64 you will
*not* get a latency of 64 samples.
the actual latency in this case (as i have measured(!) it) is 323
samples (which is approx 7.32ms @ 44.1kHz).
with a periodsize of 128 samples you will get 579 samples latency
and with periodsize of 256 samples you will get 835 samples latency.

and even worse, 323samples are far from usable (on my 3.2GHz-A7) as i
get crackles all the time.

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes