[PD] 6 band eq

Star Morin shift8 at underpop.org
Thu Apr 22 03:08:34 CEST 2004

ahhh - never mind (except the "best practices" part - i'm still totally
interested in that ;)

i had a bad understanding of "q" (confusing "q" with bandwidth).  i was
set straight by this excellent guide:
http://www.tonmeister.ca/main/textbook/electroacoustics/01.html

----
An inherent problem in this type of filter is commonly known of as
"ringing." This is "the tendency of a filter to resonate at its natural
frequency when excited by a sine wave pulse at that frequency." This
effect is present to some extent in all equalizers but is of a low
enough level to be masked by the remainder of the signal. It does,
however, become excessive with filters with a high Q. At Q=0.5 the
circuit does not ring and is said to be critically damped. Higher values
of Q, however, will result in ringing for more cycles as the bandwidth
becomes narrower.
----